- Alcohol abuse
- Autoimmune diseases
- Hepatitis B/C virus
- Chronic long-term inflammation of the liver that is long-term (chronic)
- Iron overload
Symptoms to look out for include abdominal pain and/or tenderness, especially in the upper-right part quadrant, bruising, bleeding, enlarged abdomen and jaundice (yellow skin or eyes)
Metastatic cancers which starts in another organ (such as the breast or colon) and spreads to the liver are obviously different and should possibly considered differently.
Is Alcohol the main culprit in Liver Cirrhosis?
They found that pork can cause liver cirrhosis meaning it may also promote liver cancer due to the damaged tissue being more susceptible to cancer.
Will I ever eat pork again? Nope, the evidence is stacked up against it in terms of it impact on health.
- National Cancer Institute. Adult primary liver cancer treatment PDQ.
- Bridges FS. Relationship between dietary beef, fat, and pork and alcoholic cirrhosis. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2009 Sep;6(9):2417-25. http://pmid.us/19826553.
- Nanji AA, French SW. Relationship between pork consumption and cirrhosis. Lancet. 1985 Mar 23;1(8430):681-3. http://pmid.us/2858627.
- Nanji AA, French SW. Hepatocellular carcinoma. Relationship to wine and pork consumption. Cancer. 1985 Dec 1;56(11):2711-2. http://pmid.us/2996744.