- 2 eggs
- 75g (3oz) Raw/Unrefined Castor Sugar
- 75g (3oz) Polenta
- 2 Tsp of Baking Powder
- Grated Rind of 1 Lemon
- A handful of Desiccated Coconut
- Break eggs into a bowl, whisk lightly and add sugar while continuing to whisk until thick, creamy and almost white in colour.
- Lightly fold in the polenta, baking powder, grated rind and coconut.
- Place in a well greased 18cm (7") cake tin.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 180 degs C (350F, gas mark 4) for about 30 minutes.
A true sponge contains no added fat. The eggs and sugar are whisked together until thick and creamy, leaving a trail when the whisk is removed.
If you do not have an electric whisk and are using a hand whisk, place over a bowl of hot water while whisking as this will speed up the process.
Gently fold in the polenta using a metal spoon or a spatula.
Avoid opening the oven door during cooking.